I figured that I ought to try my hand at this blog thing too.
My first nugget of knowledge... The rumors are true, the BBQ is amazing! Even when you have to wait in line for a long time in the rain and the dark (word to the wise, if you bring your lovely wife some homemade banana pudding, she might forget she is mad at you for making her wait forever only to have the car smell like a BBQ pit).
Also, for those lovers of fast food goodness, such as the Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich, the great folks in Austin have taken it to a whole new level with the "BEVO (the name of the UT Mascot) Spicy Chicken" sandwich. Several great additions including bacon, colby jack cheese, and chipotle mayo have to be tasted to be believed.


Now I would be greatly remiss, if I failed to mention that some of the best food I have been having during our time in Austin has been prepared by my lovely wife. Including amazing cinnamon rolls, stuffed baked potatoes, and lots of great salads (which are a nice balance to BBQ binges and the occasional Texadelphia texas cheesesteak).
the aforementioned cinnamon rolls on their way to the ovento become little bits of paradise on a plate
Although food is a key component of the legendary "Southern Hospitality," the part I actually meant to blog about before I got completely distracted by food is how friendly people are. I could have titled this post "The Annihilation of Anonymity," but that didn't have quite the same ring:). In all the hustle and bustle of Southern Cal, I have gotten used to standing in lines, walking through grocery stores, and doing all sorts of other things in public all while captured in my own thoughts and without too much interaction with those around me. Not so in Texas my friends. In fact the other day on a mission to the store to buy some Ice Cream Sandwiches (I promise you that, contrary to all evidence in this post, I am actually studying Engineering not Eating), I experienced a perfect example of this. After being greeted by every employee that passed within 20ft of me, I was zipping out the door when a cashier hollered in my direction "Are those 'Skinny Cows'?" (an ice cream sandwich brand... so good); and, as I froze stuck halfway out the automatic door, she preceded to inform me that she also enjoyed skinny cows and I must try the cheesecake version of the sandwiches. She was ready to carry on a lengthy conversation on the joys of ice cream among other things, but I settled with a confession of my shared love of ice cream, and was on my merry way. Although it often catches me off guard, I do enjoy the added friendliness. Not to get all philosophical, but there is something to be said about the power of simple hello or a comment about a shared love of some food item, to brighten up a day.
Well, time to conclude my novel/post. Sorry, longwinded Dylan strikes again:)
We are really enjoying Austin. While we miss many things from Southern California, especially our family, friends, and church, there are many new opportunities here too, and we are enjoying getting to spend time with our Texas family. We have stepped out of our comfort zone in a big way, and the unknown is always scary, but I think we are really going to benefit from this season wherever we end up. Although sometimes I wish that all the details would work themselves out, I am so thankful for the ways that the Lord has provided for us here.
Finally some a very important reminders
1. We have a guest bedroom
2. Calli is a great cook, and I am honing my southern hospitality skills (and I know where to find BBQ and Bevo Spicy Chickens)
3. Austin is filled with live music, BBQ, nature, and other great things
...so Y'ALL COME VISIT US!!
1 comment:
I just re-read this post and I'm sure everyone thinks that our new life in austin consists of nothing but food. This is only partly true:) We're working hard to keep our waistlines at a not so "food happy" place:)
Post a Comment