Thursday, May 27, 2010

Our Samuel

When Dylan and I began this journey and made the decision to move to Texas, we had many expectations, plans and dreams that we held to tightly.  Both of us tend to be planners; we enjoy knowing where we're going, how we're going to get there and what it'll be like when we arrive:)  And as many of you know, this past year has proven to be everything but predictable for us.  I wish I could say that this year has refined us and made us better and leave it at that.  But I can't.  If I'm really honest, I'll tell you that this has been an incredibly hard season and we've experienced many dark days.  The truth is, it's not over yet and we continue to take steps in faith that sometimes feel crazy because we can't see much ahead!  As hard as it is to admit, we have learned a lot about ourselves, about each other and about our God in this time... a lot.  But it hasn't come without some very honest questions and some very raw emotions.  


Looking back on the last year, I'd venture to say that the most outstanding thing we've been reminded of is that God is with us even when we're convinced He's taken a break.  Along with this, we've learned that regardless of how hard we pray and how desperately we seek and ask, regardless if our prayers are answered or unanswered, God listens to us, and more importantly, He hears us.  

As Dylan and I have prayed over our baby boy and taken some time to consider his name, we've settled on Samuel, which means "God Hears Me".  Many of you know the story of Hannah who prayed for a son for years and was finally given a child whom she named Samuel.  As we went back and read this story, we were reminded of God's faithfulness, His goodness, and His presence.  Although conception wasn't difficult for us ( :0) ) we do relate to Hannah's petitions and prayers.  If you had asked us a year ago what we would name our first boy, Samuel wasn't on our radar.  Of course, we love his name now, but it's not a name we had ever discussed.  But as we searched for a name that we liked, and one that was significant to us and to this season, we couldn't find a better fit than Samuel.  I always thought I'd need to meet my child before I named him/her, but it's really funny how Dylan and I just know that this baby is Samuel.  

We know that life is full of difficult seasons, and we know we likely have many more ahead of us, but we also know that our God is a God of abundant joy, hope, peace and  blessing.  For our Samuel, we pray that he walk confidently in the truth that God is always with him, always faithful, and deeply loves him.  And for Dylan and I, we have a constant reminder that God is with us, He hears us, and He is faithful.  Always. Regardless of our circumstances... His name is Samuel. 

4 comments:

Ellen said...

LOVE the name Samuel!! It's perfect! And I can't wait to meet the li'l guy!

Alisha Gault said...

Your story right now is so inspiring! It amazes me how blessed we our when we feel like the season that we are in at the time is the worst. I feel like we are in a similar situation with you and will keep you in our prayers!

Jess said...

What a great name Calli!! You are going to love the adventure of a son! It's amazing :)

Calli said...

Thanks for all the love and encouragement girls!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...