Sunday, February 21, 2010

Boy Stuff

*written 2/16/09.  we kept our news a secret for a few days so we could surprise our families but I had to write down my thoughts while they were fresh*

IT'S A BOY!!!  
Can you believe it?  I can not!  When I first heard the news, I think I was shocked...  I've been positive we were having a girl...positive.  Everything I've heard and everything I've felt lead me to believe that this baby was pink instead of blue.  Thinking this way, Dylan and I have naturally  really only thought about girl names, I've pretty much just looked at girl decor for the nursery (I almost bought a chandelier this past weekend for "her" room), and even the Chinese calendar told me I was right: GIRL.


Clearly, I was wrong. 

I grew up in a crazy sorority house family of all girls...there were 3 of us, plus mom, leaving my poor dad to be a faithful and loving man in the midst of emotional meltdowns over really important things like hairbrushes, shoes, curling irons, boys, dresses, make-up...I could go on and on.  He did (and still does... yes, there are still meltdowns) an amazing job.  So, as you can imagine, this "boy thing" is pretty foreign to me.  I'll admit, the thought of raising a boy sometimes terrifies me, as I feel much more capable of picking out a cute dress than I do shopping for the coolest sword and knight costume.  My only saving grace is that I am married to an unbelievable man and I can only hope that my son grows up to be just like his daddy...

To quote one of my closest friend in her response to our news, she says,
"It seems like this journey so far for you has been all about giving you what you least expect, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be the greatest thing ever, right?  Right."  
I could not say it any better myself.  Unexpected?  YES.  The greatest thing ever? YES.  And I am so in love with this baby boy.  It's crazy how this happens, those of you who are moms out there can likely relate, but the second I heard that we were having a boy, I automatically fell more in love with him than I have been my entire pregnancy.  I think this mom/son bond happened almost immediately.  I'm not sure why, but knowing that I'm carrying our son is such a beautiful feeling and made it all so much more real for us...  simply, it is perfect. 

I can't say it enough: Dylan and I are thrilled.  Good thing we didn't plan any of this, because it wouldn't have been near as good.  We are so excited about parenthood and SO EXCITED for our boy to arrive.  Thank you, thank you, thank you Jesus for all your great blessings.



And with that, (not to offend any of you sociology majors/Dr. Leonard lovers out there, but...) here's to blue, and playing in the dirt, and swords and guns and forts and tball and fishing and dirty jeans and crazy-almost-give-your-mother-a-heart attack wrestling, and large portions of food and all that other "boy stuff" 

This is going to be so, so fun:)

5 comments:

Ashley Adams said...

I love it :) I am so so happy Im going to be Aunt Appie to another little boy! I was shocked also to find out she is actually a HE, but sooo happy!! Crew and "boy name" are going to be best friends! Who knows, maybe they will some day be like big brothers to my little "girl name". :) Love you and Dylan SO SO much! This is going to be an amazing journey. I cant wait to see his precious little face :)

Chrissy Padilla said...

So exciting! I'm so happy to have found your blog. Now I'm going to stalk you two :) Give my love to Dylan and baby!

Angela Robinson said...

I want to cry and giggle all at the same time. Literally my eyes are teary. I grew up with 2 sisters and a brother but my brother is SO much younger than me that I never related and was gone for a chunk of his upbringing. As you know, God didn't care about this "lack" of understanding boys. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my boys and absolutely know that you and Dylan will be amazing parents. Dylan has been such an amazing influence on my guys...that's really telling of how he'll be as a papa. Love you guys SO and you've just made me miss you more. Sigh. Oh...I have lots of boy names if you need any help. Hee, hee, hee. xoxoxoxoxoxo

Jess said...

Hooray for team Blue!! WE are so excited for you both!! Can't wait to see the nursery and so soon see pictures of the little guy!!

Amy said...

Congrats! So exciting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...