A couple of moths ago Dylan cut his finger on our blender blade while doing the dishes. The cut was pretty deep (or so we both thought) and Dylan bled so much I thought he was going to drop dead. (However, we didn't miss the dinner party we were invited to that evening because we were desperate for friends.) The next day, when Dylan's finger was still bleeding from the cut, I told him that I thought he might need a stitch or two. Dylan wasn't convinced, but for caution's sake, he went to the clinic anyways.
He saw the nurse and the doctor and when they pulled back the skin to examine the cut, the nurses words were, "is that it?". I'll cut the details short, but Dylan did not need stitches. They just gave him a nice band-aid and a tetanus shot. Oh, and they weighed him. And thanks to our totally awesome deductible, we left that clinic $268 poorer.
We now we commonly refer to that day as "the day Dylan paid $268 to be told he weighed a few more pounds than he'd like to weigh".
WELL, JUST OUR LUCK...
This past week our washing machine began leaking a green, gel-like, grease substance from the shaft of the washer. I had been suspicious that our washer was slowly breaking because of the odd noises and rattling it had been making for the last month or so, but when I pulled out a load of laundry earlier this week that was clearly stained from the "grease", I knew we had a BIG problem... Big as in we probably were looking at needing a new washer in the near future, or at least some pricey new parts.
I tried really hard to not over-react and even tried to ignore the leaking liquid for a few days...thinking it would magically go away. Dylan ran an empty cycle on the washer just to test it out another time, and sure enough, the leaking continued after the cycle completed. And yes, we did run our fingers through the liquid, and it was greasy.
After our dirty laundry began overflowing onto our bedroom floor from our bathroom, and we were in desperate need for some clean clothes, I convinced Dylan that our washing machine was on its last leg. Dylan did some research online and everything he read lead him to believe that the washer gears had gone out and needed to be replaced. We both agreed that it was probably best to call out a technician.
So, that's what we did. We called out a Sears Washing Machine Technician today.
Technician Phillip arrived around 10:30 this morning and assessed our "broken" machine. After glancing at the leaking fluid coming from the shaft, for about, oh I'd say four seconds, he looked at Dylan and said "that's old fabric softener, sir. Your machine is fine. But do you have a paper towel? I'll clean it out for you."
Oh, how nice of you Technician Phillip. And by the way, thanks for the self-esteem boost. We now feel like royal idiots.
We don't use fabric softener, but we did buy our machine used, from a couple in our church in Costa Mesa. I guess they used fabric softener....and a whole bunch of it... because it's now leaking from the shaft of our washer. But, $129 later and thanks to Technician Phillip, we've got a spic and span washing machine, totally free of any and all leaking.
I suppose we'll now refer to this day as "the day we spent $129 for Technician Phillip to clean out the old fabric softener"
And I guess I'll go start some laundry now...
Monday, August 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh nooooo, that's no good, Calli! I can't believe the nurse said that to you guys! And that's terrible about the washer...I'm betting I would have done the same thing in that situation too.
I feel bad laughing at your misfortune, but you have a way of writing that makes it hard not to crack a smile :)
I'll be praying that you get some retribution for what you've had to go through. A refund on that bad luck streak! ;)
Ellen,
You are too sweet:) I mean, if you can't laugh about it, then what can you do? Right?!? Looking forward to seeing you guys soon!
I know it was a hard day... but thanks for writing and making all of us crack up. Is that insensitive?
Post a Comment